Background: Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery (Commonly known as Urogynecology) is a subspecialty of Gynecology that deals with Pelvic Floor Disorders (PFDs). PFDs include pelvic organ prolapse (POP), and various forms of urinary, fecal and flatus incontinence. These disorders have a huge impact on quality of life (QoL) as well as these pose a significant socio-economic burden. For years our focus was more on diseases which are lethal and the diseases having impact on QoL were ignored by the health care professionals, researchers and even by the patients themselves. With the increasing life span and awareness of concept of QoL the need for Urogynecology services is going to increase exponentially in times to come.
Need: Statistical projections estimates that globally 58 million women will have at least one PFD by 2020. In the United States alone the number of women with at least one PFD would increase from 38.1 million in 2019 to 43.8 million by 2050. It is estimated that during this same period, the number of women with urinary incontinence will increase 55%, women suffering from faecal incontinence will increase 59%, and the number of women with pelvic prolapse will increase 46%. Though we have no real estimates of burden of disease and future predictions from India, it is suggested that millions of women are silently suffering.
As Urogynecology is the newest branch or Gynaecology and in India there is still no formal training available for the same, there is an immense need to train the youngsters about diagnosis and principles of treatment related to PFDs.
Aim & Objectives: We have designed this annual course/workshop with the following objectives in mind
Aim: To educate postgraduate students (Gynecology) and young Gynecologists to improve the quality of care of women with pelvic floor disorders.
- To make them aware about the wide variety of PFDs – clinical presentation, diagnosis and various modes of available treatments.
- To make them familiar with the common surgical techniques A) by observing live surgeries being performed by the leaders in the field. B) By teaching them to do the surgeries in Pelvic trainers under supervision
- To inculcate a surge of research and innovation in the young minds.
Uniqueness: MUG has been planned in the following way to make it a unique program and maximize the benefits in the shortest possible period
- The first and foremost step to improve the health care is to educate and train the doctors. Though MUG we plan to give a world class platform to the focused group of people inclined towards Urogynecology.
- The annual nture of this course has been decided to educate, reinforce and update the participants.
- Every year world leaders in the field are selected and invited to train. Hundreds of participants can learn the world class techniques by the global doyens.
- While live surgeries orient them to understand every minutia of the art in real time; hand on workshops gives them a confidence by teaching the perfect technique before they try their skills in the patients.
- It creates a unique opportunity to be a part of a group to seek advice or discuss cases if the need arises, throughout the year.
- From this year – we also plan to integrate a platform to discuss research and innovation – which is the real need of the hour.